Millions of people in the United States suffer from chronic pain. Chronic pain is known as pain that lasts longer than 6 months. Chronic pain can range from mild to debilitating, episodic or continuous, just an annoyance or completely disrupt your life.
When patients experience chronic pain, signals of pain remain active in the nervous system for weeks, months, or even years. All of that pain can take a toll on your overall health and well-being.
What causes chronic pain?
Chronic pain can be triggered by a number of reasons. Conditions that accompany normal aging may affect bones and joints which can lead to chronic pain. Other typical causes are nerve damage and injuries that do not heal correctly.
One of the most common forms of chronic pain is back pain. Back pain can stem from many different conditions including:
- Years of poor posture
- Improper lifting and carrying around heavy objects
- Being overweight, as it puts extra strain on the back and knees
- A condition or disease such as scoliosis
- Traumatic injuries
- Wearing high heels
- Sleeping on a poor mattress
- Normal aging of the spine
What are the symptoms of chronic pain?
Chronic pain symptoms can vary from person to person. Some of the most common symptoms of chronic pain are:
- Mild to severe pain that does not leave
- Pain can be defined as shooting, burning, aching, or sharp in the affect area
- Feelings of discomfort, soreness, or stiffness
- Limited mobility
- Changes in mood which can include depression, hopelessness, and fear
- Weakened immune system
Homeopathy and Naturopathic Medicine for Chronic Pain
Supplements can be very helpful for managing chronic pain. Doctors, as well as patients, are looking towards supplements more and more. Supplements are natural, harmless, and have less tolerance for the side effects than traditional pain medications. Some common remedies for chronic pain include:
- Anti-inflammatory plants and herbs
- Vitamin D
- Glucosamine sulfate
- and many more
If you have any questions about supplements or chronic pain, call our office today.