In the United States, around 45 million people suffer from chronic headaches, and 28 million suffer from migraines–making it one of the most common medical complaints. Headaches and migraines can be an annoyance during your day, but in some cases, constant headaches and migraines can debilitate your life hindering your overall health and well-being.
What are Headaches/Migraines?
A headache is feelings of pain or discomfort in the head, scalp, or neck. Migraines are more severe than headaches that can trigger other reactions of the body including: nausea, vomiting, increased sensitivity to light and sound, fatigue, and blurry vision. Migraines can last anywhere from 4 to 72 hours.
Headaches & Migraines Causes
Experts are not entirely sure what exactly causes headaches and migraines, but there are other conditions that could possibly trigger them including:
- Bad Posture
- Clenching of the jaw (TMJ)
- Food allergies/sensitivities
- and many more…
Migraines and other types of headaches, including tension headaches and sinus headaches can be extremely painful and disrupt daily plans and activities.
Signs and Symptoms of Headaches & Migraines
Not all headaches and migraines are the same, but they do share at least one thing in common–pain and discomfort. There are different types of headaches, accompanied by a series of symptoms which include:
- Tension headaches – constant band-like pain, pressure, and throbbing. Pain affects the front, top, or sides of the head.
- Cluster headaches – Intense one-sided pain described as having a burning or piercing
- Sinus headaches– Deep and constant pain located in the cheekbones, forehead, or at the bridge of the nose. Sudden movement or strain will make pain worse.
- Migraine headaches – Moderate to severe pain that affects the entire head, or can move from one side of the head to the other. Pain usually accompanied with nausea/vomiting, blurred vision, dizziness, fever, bright flashing dots or lights, blind spots, or jagged lines (most people refer to this as an “aura”)
Signs and symptoms will determine what kind of headache or migraine you could be experiencing.
Suffering from daily headaches and migraines is not a way to live life. There are many homeopathic and naturopathic medicine therapies available. Call our office today to schedule an appointment to get your headaches and migraines resolved.